Balian Beach is a hidden gem on the west coast of Bali, Indonesia. It is a popular destination for surfers and beach lovers alike. The beach is known for its black sand, clear water, and consistent waves. Balian Beach is also a great place to relax and escape the crowds.
Where is Balian Beach located?
Balian Beach is located in the Tabanan Regency, about 3 hours drive from Ngurah Rai International Airport. It is a small village with a laid-back atmosphere.
Why should Americans visit Balian Beach?
There are many reasons why Americans should visit Balian Beach. Here are just a few:
- Great surfing: Balian Beach is a world-famous surfing destination, with waves for all levels of experience.
- Beautiful beach: Balian Beach has a beautiful stretch of black sand beach, perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- Relaxed atmosphere: Balian Beach is a great place to relax and escape the crowds.
- Affordable accommodation: There are a variety of affordable accommodation options available in Balian Beach, from budget hostels to luxury villas.
- Friendly locals: The locals in Balian Beach are very friendly and welcoming.
Best time to visit Balian Beach?
The best time to visit Balian Beach is during the dry season, from April to October. The weather is晴朗 and the waves are consistent during this time. However, Balian Beach is a beautiful destination year-round. That said, here are 11 amazing things you should do when you are at Balian beach:
1. Surfing and bodyboarding at Balian Beach
Balian Beach is a world-famous surfing destination, with waves for all levels of experience. The peak, a steep and powerful A-frame wave, is located directly in front of the river mouth and is perfect for experienced surfers. Ketut’s, a fast and high-performance right-hand breaking wave, is located on the other side of the river and is suitable for intermediate to advanced surfers.
If you’re a beginner, there are several surf schools on Balian Beach where you can take lessons. The instructors are experienced and knowledgeable, and they will teach you the basics of surfing in a safe and fun environment. It is also perfect for the whole family.
If you’re not into surfing, you can still enjoy the waves by bodyboarding or swimming. The waves at Balian Beach are perfect for bodyboarding, and the water is clear and warm. There are also several lifeguards on duty to ensure your safety.
Here are some tips for surfing and bodyboarding at Balian Beach:
- Be aware of the currents and tides. The currents can be strong at Balian Beach, so it’s important to be aware of them before you go into the water. The tides can also affect the waves, so it’s a good idea to check the tide charts before you go surfing.
- Be respectful of other surfers. Balian Beach is a popular surfing destination, so it’s important to be respectful of other surfers in the water. Don’t drop in on other surfers, and be aware of your surroundings.
- Wear sunscreen and a hat. The sun can be strong in Bali, so it’s important to protect yourself from the sun. Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and wear a hat to protect your head and face.
Have fun! Surfing and bodyboarding are a lot of fun, so relax and enjoy the waves.
2. Swimming and sunbathing on Balian Beach
Balian Beach has a beautiful stretch of black sand beach, perfect for swimming and sunbathing. The water is clear and warm, and there are plenty of palm trees to provide shade. There are also several beach clubs where you can rent sunbeds and umbrellas.
If you’re looking for a relaxing day at the beach, Balian is the perfect place for you. You can spend your day swimming, sunbathing, reading a book, or simply enjoying the beautiful scenery.
Here are a few tips for swimming and sunbathing on Balian Beach:
- Be aware of the currents. Balian Beach has strong currents, so it’s important to be aware of them when swimming. If you’re not a strong swimmer, it’s best to stay close to the shore.
- Apply sunscreen liberally. The sun can be very strong in Bali, so it’s important to apply sunscreen liberally and reapply every two hours, or more often if you’re sweating or swimming.
- Drink plenty of water. It’s important to stay hydrated, especially when you’re spending time in the sun. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Take breaks from the sun. It’s important to take breaks from the sun, especially if you have fair skin. Find a shady spot to relax or go for a swim to cool off.
If you’re looking for a more active day at the beach, you can also rent a surfboard or bodyboard and hit the waves. Balian Beach is a popular surfing destination, with waves for all levels of experience. If you’re not a surfer, you can still enjoy the waves by bodyboarding or swimming. Just be sure to be aware of the currents and the other surfers in the water.
No matter what you choose to do, you’re sure to have a relaxing and enjoyable day at Balian Beach.
3. Visiting the Balian Temple
The Balian Temple is a beautiful Hindu temple located on a cliff overlooking Balian Beach in Bali, Indonesia. The temple is dedicated to the god Shiva and is a popular pilgrimage site for locals. Visitors can explore the temple grounds and learn about Hindu culture.
The temple is believed to have been built in the 16th century, and it is one of the oldest temples in Bali. The temple is surrounded by lush gardens and offers stunning views of the beach and the ocean.
To visit the temple, visitors must dress modestly. This means covering their shoulders and knees. Visitors must also remove their shoes before entering the temple grounds.
Once inside the temple grounds, visitors can explore the various shrines and temples. The main temple is dedicated to the god Shiva, and there are also shrines to other Hindu deities, such as Brahma and Vishnu.
Visitors can also learn about Hindu culture at the temple. There are several plaques and signs that explain the different aspects of Hinduism. Visitors can also ask questions of the temple priests.
The Balian Temple is a great place to learn about Hindu culture and to experience the beauty of Balinese architecture. It is also a popular spot for watching the sunset.
Tips for visiting the Balian Temple:
- Dress modestly. This means covering your shoulders and knees.
- Remove your shoes before entering the temple grounds.
- Be respectful of the religious significance of the temple.
- Ask questions of the temple priests if you have any questions about Hindu culture.
- Be sure to bring a camera to capture the beauty of the temple and the surrounding views.
4. Hiking to the top of Mount Tambora
Mount Tambora is a volcano located just a short drive from Balian Beach. It is one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia, and it last erupted in 1815. The eruption was so powerful that it killed over 70,000 people and caused global climate change.
Despite its history of eruptions, Mount Tambora is a popular hiking destination. There are several hiking trails to the top of the volcano, offering stunning views of the surrounding countryside. The hike is challenging, but it’s worth it for the views.
The most popular hiking trail to the top of Mount Tambora is the Segara Anak Crater Trail. This trail takes hikers through the crater of the volcano, where they can see the lake and the surrounding mountains. The hike is approximately 10 kilometers long and takes about 6 hours to complete.
If you’re looking for a more challenging hike, you can try the Doro Ncanga Trail. This trail takes hikers to the highest point on Mount Tambora, which is 2,850 meters above sea level. The hike is approximately 15 kilometers long and takes about 8 hours to complete.
No matter which trail you choose, be sure to start early in the morning and bring plenty of water and sunscreen. The hike can be strenuous, and it’s important to be prepared for the heat.
Here are some tips for hiking to the top of Mount Tambora:
- Start early in the morning. The hike is easier in the cool of the morning than in the heat of the afternoon.
- Bring plenty of water. You’ll need at least 3 liters of water per person.
- Bring sunscreen. The sun can be strong, even at high altitudes.
- Wear comfortable shoes. The hike is long and challenging, so it’s important to wear shoes that fit well and support your feet.
- Be prepared for the heat. The hike can be strenuous, so it’s important to be prepared for the heat.
- Take breaks. Don’t try to rush the hike. Take breaks along the way to rest and drink water.
- Enjoy the views! The hike to the top of Mount Tambora is worth it for the stunning views.
5. Visiting the West Bali National Park
The West Bali National Park is a national park located just a short drive from Balian Beach. The park is home to a variety of wildlife, including monkeys, deer, and birds. Visitors can go on hikes, birdwatching, or simply enjoy the natural beauty of the park.
Here are some of the things you can do in the West Bali National Park:
- Go on a hike. There are several hiking trails in the park, ranging from easy to challenging. One popular hike is the Menjangan Island Trail, which leads to a beautiful island with stunning beaches and coral reefs.
- Go birdwatching. The West Bali National Park is home to over 200 species of birds, including many rare and endangered species. You can go birdwatching on your own or hire a guide to help you spot some of the park’s most elusive birds.
- Visit the Menjangan Island Marine Park. The Menjangan Island Marine Park is a marine protected area located just off the coast of the West Bali National Park. The park is home to a variety of marine life, including coral reefs, fish, and turtles. You can snorkel or dive in the marine park to see some of its amazing underwater creatures.
- Visit the Pura Pulaki Temple. The Pura Pulaki Temple is a Hindu temple located on a small island off the coast of the West Bali National Park. The temple is dedicated to the god Vishnu and is a popular pilgrimage site for locals. Visitors can explore the temple grounds and learn about Hindu culture.
Tips for visiting the West Bali National Park:
- The best time to visit the West Bali National Park is during the dry season, which runs from May to October.
- Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and clothing, as you will be doing a lot of walking.
- Bring sunscreen, insect repellent, and plenty of water.
- Hire a guide if you are planning on going on a hike or visiting the Menjangan Island Marine Park.
- Be respectful of the wildlife and the environment.
The West Bali National Park is a beautiful and unique place that is definitely worth a visit. With its stunning scenery, diverse wildlife, and rich culture, the park has something to offer everyone.
6. Taking a surfing lesson
Surfing is one of the most popular activities on Balian Beach, and it’s easy to see why. The waves are consistent and there are breaks for all levels of experience, from beginners to experts.
If you’ve never surfed before, the best way to learn is by taking a lesson from a qualified instructor. There are several surf schools on Balian Beach that offer lessons, and most of them provide all the necessary equipment, including a surfboard, wetsuit, and rash guard.
During a surf lesson, you’ll learn the basics of surfing, such as how to paddle out, catch a wave, and stand up on the board. You’ll also learn about surf safety and etiquette.
Once you’ve taken a surf lesson, you’ll be ready to start catching some waves on your own. Balian Beach is a great place to practice your surfing skills, as there are always plenty of waves to choose from.
Here are some tips for taking a surfing lesson at Balian Beach:
- Book your lesson in advance, especially if you’re visiting during peak season.
- Arrive early for your lesson so that you have time to get fitted for equipment and go through the safety briefing.
- Be prepared to work hard. Surfing is a physically demanding activity, but it’s also a lot of fun.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your instructor questions. They are there to help you learn and improve.
Balian Beach is a great place to learn how to surf, regardless of your age or fitness level. With its consistent waves and experienced instructors, you’ll be catching waves like a pro in no time.
7. Taking a yoga class on Balian Beach
Yoga is a popular activity on Balian Beach, and there are several yoga studios where you can take classes. Yoga is a great way to relax and de-stress, and it’s also a good way to get some exercise.
Here are a few of the benefits of taking a yoga class on Balian Beach:
- The scenery is stunning. What better place to practice yoga than on a beautiful beach with the sound of the waves crashing in the background?
- The air is fresh and clean. The fresh sea air will help you to breathe deeply and relax.
- The sun is warm and invigorating. The sun’s warmth will help to loosen up your muscles and improve your flexibility.
- The instructors are experienced and knowledgeable. You can find yoga instructors on Balian Beach who teach a variety of different styles of yoga, so you’re sure to find a class that’s right for you.
Here are a few of the yoga studios on Balian Beach:
- Balian Spirit Yoga
- La Balian Villa and Retreat
- Pondok Pitaya
These yoga studios offer a variety of different classes, including Vinyasa, Ashtanga, and Hatha yoga. They also offer classes for beginners, intermediate, and advanced students.
If you’re new to yoga, I recommend taking a beginner class. The instructor will teach you the basics of yoga poses and breathing techniques. Once you’ve mastered the basics, you can move on to more advanced classes.
No matter what your experience level is, I encourage you to take a yoga class on Balian Beach. It’s a great way to relax, de-stress, and get some exercise while enjoying the beautiful scenery.
8. Visit the Balian Market
The Balian Market is a weekly market where you can buy fresh produce, souvenirs, and other goods. It is held every Thursday from 7 am to 1 pm in the village square, just a short walk from the beach.
The market is a great place to experience Balinese culture and find some unique souvenirs. You can find everything from fresh fruits and vegetables to handmade crafts and clothing. There is also a food section where you can try some delicious Balinese snacks and dishes.
Here are some of the things you can find at the Balian Market:
- Fresh produce, such as fruits, vegetables, and herbs
- Handmade crafts, such as wood carvings, paintings, and jewelry
- Clothing and accessories
- Food and drinks, such as nasi goreng (fried rice), mie goreng (fried noodles), and satay (grilled meat skewers)
The Balian Market is a great place to haggle for prices, so be sure to brush up on your bargaining skills before you go. And don’t forget to bring cash, as most vendors do not accept credit cards.
Tips for visiting the Balian Market:
- Go early in the morning to avoid the crowds and the heat.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing, as you will be doing a lot of walking.
- Bring cash
- Be prepared to haggle for prices.
- Don’t be afraid to try some of the local food and drinks.
The Balian Market is a great place to experience Balinese culture and to find some unique souvenirs. Be sure to add it to your itinerary when you visit Balian Beach.
9. Get a massage
After a long day of surfing or exploring the island, there’s nothing quite like a relaxing massage to soothe your tired muscles and mind. There are several massage parlors on Balian Beach, all offering a variety of treatments at affordable prices.
Whether you’re looking for a traditional Balinese massage, a deep tissue massage, or a sports massage, you’re sure to find the perfect treatment to suit your needs. Most massage parlors offer a variety of packages, so you can save money if you book multiple treatments.
Here are a few of the most popular massage parlors on Balian Beach:
- Bella Spa & Massage: This spa offers a wide range of massage treatments, including Balinese massage, deep tissue massage, and sports massage. They also offer facials, body treatments, and waxing.
- Balian Beach Massage: This massage parlor offers a variety of traditional Balinese massage treatments, as well as deep tissue massage and sports massage. They also offer couples massages and massages for children.
- Serenity Garden Spa: This spa offers a variety of massage treatments, including Balinese massage, deep tissue massage, and Swedish massage. They also offer facials, body treatments, and waxing.
When choosing a massage parlor, be sure to read reviews online and ask around for recommendations from other travelers. It’s also important to make an appointment in advance, especially during peak season.
Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your massage:
- Arrive early so you have time to relax and prepare for your treatment.
- Communicate your needs to your massage therapist. Let them know if you have any areas of pain or discomfort, or if you have any specific preferences.
- Drink plenty of water before and after your massage.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before your massage, as they can dehydrate you and make it difficult to relax.
- Listen to your body and let your massage therapist know if you need them to adjust the pressure or technique.
After your massage, take some time to relax and enjoy the feeling of well-being. You may want to drink a cup of herbal tea or take a nap.
10. Eat at a beachfront Restaurant
Eating at one of the many beachfront restaurants on Balian Beach is a must-do for any visitor. The town has a wide variety of restaurants to choose from, catering to all budgets and tastes. Here are a few of the most popular beachfront restaurants on Balian Beach:
- Warung Pantai Balian is a popular warung (small restaurant) located right on the beach. This is a great place to try some authentic Balinese dishes, such as nasi goreng, mie goreng, and satay.
- The Shady Shack is a restaurant and bar that is known for its healthy and delicious food. The menu features a variety of dishes, including salads, wraps, and burgers.
- Balian Beach Cafe is a cafe and restaurant that offers a variety of international and Indonesian dishes. The restaurant has a great location right on the beach, and it is a popular spot for watching the sunset.
- Deki’s Warung is a popular warung located on a cliff overlooking the beach. This is a great place to enjoy a meal with a view. The menu features a variety of Balinese and Indonesian dishes, as well as some international dishes.
These are lovely beachfront restaurants you can have an amazing meal at.
11. Watch the sunset at Balian Beach
Balian Beach is a great place to watch the sunset. The sky turns a beautiful shade of orange and pink as the sun sinks below the horizon, reflecting off the waves and creating a truly magical sight.
There are several great spots on the beach to watch the sunset, including:
- From the beach itself: Find a spot on the sand and relax as you watch the sunset.
- From one of the beach clubs: Many of the beach clubs on Balian Beach have sunset decks where you can enjoy a drink or meal while watching the sunset.
- From the Balian Temple: The Balian Temple is located on a cliff overlooking the beach and offers stunning views of the sunset.
Here are some tips for taking great sunset photos at Balian Beach:
- Use a tripod to keep your camera steady.
- Experiment with different shutter speeds and aperture settings to get the best results.
- Focus on the horizon or on a specific object in the foreground to create a sense of depth.
- Be patient and wait for the perfect moment to take your photo.
No matter where you choose to watch the sunset at Balian Beach, you’re sure to enjoy a truly unforgettable experience.
Lets Wrap Up
Balian Beach is a truly amazing place, with something to offer everyone. Whether you’re looking to surf, swim, sunbathe, explore, or simply relax and enjoy the natural beauty, you’re sure to have a wonderful time at Balian Beach.
Here are a few more reasons why you should visit Balian Beach:
- The people are friendly and welcoming.
- The food is delicious and affordable.
- The culture is rich and vibrant.
- The scenery is simply breathtaking.
If you’re looking for a truly unforgettable beach vacation, Balian Beach is the perfect place for you.
Visiting Bali soon? Check out the best beaches in Bali for a perfect honeymoon experience.